Pages

Monday 13 May 2019

English - The merchant of Venice


Act Four, Scene One
  1. What does the Duke believe Antonio intends to do? (Black Pg. 147, Blue Pg.85) show mercy to Shylock
  2. What does Shylock intend to do?cut a pound of flesh from Antonio
  3. Finish this quote that tells us why, ‘You’ll ask me why I rather choose to have a weight of carrion flesh, than to receive three thousand ducats . I’ll not answer that, but to say it is my humoror , is it answered?’ (Black Pg. 149, Blue Pg.86)
  4. What two loopholes does Portia find in the wording of the contract?
(Black Pg. 165-167, Blue Pg.95-96) There should be no blood,
It should only be a pound of flesh

  1. Shylock now has to pay penalties. Complete this quotes that tell us what the penalties are: ‘I pardon thee thy life before thou ask it, For half thy wealth , it is Antonio's , the other half's comes to the general state’ (Black Pg. 169, Blue Pg.97)
  2. Are the penalties fair? Why/why not.
  3. How do Lorenzo and Jessica gain by the result?
  4. What reward has Portia claimed and why is this significant?
  5. Portia tells Shylock ‘The quality of mercy is not strained’.
How does she try to persuade Shylock to show mercy, how much
mercy is she willing to show him ((Black Pg. 157-159, Blue Pg.91-92) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.